Friday, January 4, 2013

RRRReverb!

I've always wanted to be able to add reverb to my teaching studio, but I didn't want to buy and mess with hardware to do it. I discovered a way to do it on my iPad yesterday when I was checking out programs that would work with my new iRig Pre (a preamp device to attach your microphone to the iPad). After settling on the TwistedWave program as a good overall recording/editing app, I checked out some of the live effects apps. I was nervous about getting feedback in my headphones or speakers, so I was careful to bring up the volume gradually when trying these out. I found that I could get a simple and quick reverb effect in my office at home by using an app called AudioEffects and plugging the iPad into my home computer speakers. Just using the built in mic on the iPad, I was able to create reverb in the room while practicing my clarinet.

Jacob performing in Clarinet Principals Class, WCU
My husband asked me why I didn't just find an app on my MacBook that would do the same thing. That actually turned out to be a harder and more elaborate task to conquer. There are plenty of VST plugins for DAW (digital audio workstation) programs, but I couldn't figure out how to use these in Audacity, and the whole process seemed like overkill. Finally, I found a post on the NAfME list that explained how to do this in Garageband. Just add a track and select "Real Instrument". Over on the right you make sure your input source is an external mic of some sort (I used a microphone connected to an iMic), switch the monitor to on (make sure volume levels aren't on high or you may experience feedback), and then under the Edit menu (next to Browse), you can set the reverb level to whatever percentage you want. I placed the microphone fairly close to where I was practicing, and I got the feeling of being in an instant concert hall!

No comments:

Post a Comment